Sunday, April 13, 2014

Colgate Optic White System Review

I'll admit I'm not super keen on teeth whitening products. I go to the dentist regularly and I use whitening strips when necessary for upkeep. I've tried the mouthwash and the toothpaste and it ends up leaving a bad taste in my mouth with no results. Last month (I believe), I was sent Colgate's Optic White products to try provided by Influenster. Oh sure, the packaging is shiny and draws the eye with its bright red and holographic foil packaging, but do not be fooled, there's nothing new in it.

Firstly, the toothpaste I have tried before. It's the same bad-tasting whitening stuff as any other brand. And honestly, you should be seeing a dentist and getting regular cleanings anyways if you're searching for full on brighter, healthier chompers. Whitening products don't really work well if you do not have good teeth to begin with. They only clean surface stains. And by clean I mean tint your teeth slightly bluer usually to cancel out the horrible yellow. But I should move onto the brush/pen combo since that is the main sell of this product review.

I use an electric toothbrush normally. I paid a bit, yes. But it works well. This brush was well...eh. It was nothing I'd text Mom about. I will say this brush wasn't as annoying as others in the manual mouth-scrubbing department since it wasn't full of hard plastic strips that somehow "massage" or "do clean better". The bristles weren't uncomfortable but it really just wasn't that impressive. The handle is meh compared to other regular brushes as well. Sure it has the grippy bit, but the positioning of it makes it feel awkward in your palm. Where your thumb is supposed to sit does not seem comfortable at all.

And now the whitening pen. I will admit, it is easy to use. Turn the bottom, it clicks to notify you that it has indeed dispensed gel onto the tip, and you glaze it over your teeth. Pop it back in the base of the toothbrush and off you gooooo! Yeah, sounds good and all. And the gel didn't taste horrible which is a bonus since you do not rinse it out. But I didn't see any noticeable results in the two weeks of use before I pitched it, brush and all. I think I will stay with my 30-min. strips for convenience instead of dealing with this bad combo design.


And that's another thing, the pen holder. Yeah, suuuuper convenient to stick the pen into the brush but it makes no sense. Unless you are marketing it for travel, why bulk up the handle of the brush? It makes it feel like a child's toothbrush. And you STILL would not be able to put it in your carry on because it's a gel and TSA doesn't like you idly handling gels while waiting for your complimentary in-flight drink. Maybe you should have at least made it do that stupid thing where it plays music to distract from how ridiculous the build really is. And shower use? Pft. Unless you like getting gunk stuck up in the brush base, I wouldn't recommend it unless you separate the two and let them dry individually.

End result? If you're going to sell the pen, sell the pen. Do not try to make some lame combo package out of it and mess up the brush in the process. Negative to purchase possibility.

0 comments:

Post a Comment